Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Big 18

Turning 18 is a milestone in your life!
I was privileged to spend it with my mom and sister. For my gift, my mom flew my sister and me to Denver, Colorado to run the marathon (she and Rachel ran it) and the half marathon (I ran it)! While we were there, I was able to catch up with one of my best friends who used to live in LA, Ashlan and her brother Adam.

The Denver weather (for this weekend) was much different than California weather! It was cold, rainy, and snowy! My skin and nose is very sensitive to this weather, so they weren't too happy! :( Also, Denver is much higher in altitude than L.A..

The whole altitude difference was what we were most nervous about for the race. We just tried not to think about it too much and act as if it was simply another race.

I was feeling pretty well during the first 6 miles of the race. I do have a very sensitive stomach, so every time I took a fluid, I could feel my stomach turn. Around 6.5 miles, they gave us cytomax for the first time. (It is just like Gatorade) I took one sip, as I was still running, and my stomach turned to knots and my throat closed up. I began choking on the drink! Which then caused me to "throw up."

However, I NEVER STOPPED RUNNING! I think that was what I was most proud of :)

I have had many injuries and tight muscles throughout this training process. I came to a point where I said, "Alright, my goal is just to finish without walking."
No matter how much pain I ran into, how weak I felt, or how sick I was, I didn't want to walk.

After I "got" everything "up," my body physically felt weak. I wasn't sure if it was the fact that I had been running for an hour or that I just got sick. Oh, or the fact that it was 30 degrees and I was cold and we were running uphill.

I turned to my last resort, finding a good song on my Ipod. Even my Mercy Me songs seemed to be so slow. I really needed something to carry me through the last half of the race.
So, at mile 8 I started praying.

My attitude began to change. My pace picked up and I just remember thinking, I could be in a hospital bed being treated for cancer.

Then mile 12 came... it was all uphill. OH NO! Growing up I was a decent hill runner. Now though, it spikes up pain in my knees. But hey, I WASN'T GOING TO WALK!

I pushed up that hill. The only thing I was saying was, "The sooner I get up the hill, the sooner I am done."

I made it up the hill and saw the 13 mile sign! THAT MEANT I ONLY HAVE .1 MILES TO GO!

I yelled PRAISE THE LORD!!!! I got a whole new energy in me that I hadn't felt at all in the race.
Clearly, it was the grace of God giving me a nice strong finish.

Also, at the same exact time, my favorite Christian song, You Are by Jason Castro, came on my Ipod. I finally found a song that seemed uplifting!

God is always pushing us to new extremes. Even if we don't think we can handle it, He knows we can. He gives us talents for us to use, wisdom to achieve, and love so we never feel alone.

Remember,
"I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!"

No comments:

Post a Comment