Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Behind Closed Doors

It is really easy to become two different people in our lives. Sometimes we are even more than two people. We want to fit in with a certain group of people, so we act one way. We have to be accepted by our family, so we act another way. However, my personal favorite is who we are when no one else is watching.

I haven't posted on my blog in a couple of months because I had a really hard time figuring out what I wanted to write about. Last night, it totally hit me. Since 2012 started, I have been around some people that can impact your life in such a good way and then you see them turn around and impact your life in such a bad way. The worst part is, they don't even know they are impacting you in a bad way.

Which is why I hate social networking sites so much.

You see pictures of these people, surrounded by their friends, and all you can think about is who have they become.

Young adults have become so wrapped up in what people think about them. You can sit there and say that isn't true, but there is always that longing to be accepted. We want to fit in with a certain group of people. So, we will do whatever they are doing to be accepted.

Then, we venture home that night and have to hide that side from our parents. We know that they would never accept that side of us...so, we morph into who they would want us to be.

The next stop is when we close our bedroom door.
That is who you really are.

What do you think about when you are all alone?

A lot of people tell me that I am a 'good girl' and I never do anything bad. That is simply because I don't want to. I don't want to have to act like someone else around a certain group of people. Because really, who are they? What are they going to do in my life that will make me a better or a more successful person?

When I was competing at Miss California's Outstanding Teen this past year, my onstage question was about whether or not parents should have access to their children's social networking sites. My answer was simply this:
"Yes, I do think parents should have the right to view the social networking sites that their children are partaking in. If the child is trying to hide something, that clearly means they shouldn't be doing it in the first place. So, I strongly think children should give their parents the right to view their social networking sites."

In my opinion, we should live our lives by that. If we are trying to hide something from someone, then that clearly means we shouldn't be doing whatever we are doing.

So, which person do you want to be?

1 Corinthians 12:27 
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment